Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:28:35 -0600
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/15353: manpage section missing from examples

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 01:30:03AM -0800, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
>  > >Synopsis:       manpage section missing from examples
>  >
>  > 	Some manpages like ls.1 have a "COMPATIBILITY" section.
>  > 	Where is the proper location for it?
>  > 	ls.1 has it above "SEE ALSO".  I would have guessed it should be
>  > 	before or after "STANDARDS".
>  >

>  > >Fix:
>  >
>  > 	Please add "COMPATIBILITY" to /usr/share/examples/mdoc/example.? and
>  > 	doc(7).
>
>  Quick look shown that we have about 200 nonstandalone (not listed in mdoc(7))
>  sections headers. It's impossible to add all of them to mdoc(7). I not
>  sure that it's good idea.

I added COMPATIBILITY, since it is used in a number of man pages.
A large number of the references are from the original 4.4BSD-Lite
import.

I also added IMPLEMENTATION NOTES, since it was already somewhat
documented by mdoc.samples(7).

As for the other section headers, mdoc does state that other
non-standard section headers may be added at the authors
descretion.  I would like to point out that while that is true,
efforts should be made to work within the framework of
the standard section headers.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard