Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        aa8vb@nc.rr.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C905B-Combo supported?

>      Lots of good things about this chipset, but nothing about whether
> anyone has the BNC working well in FreeBSD.
>
>      It's a 3Com 3C905B with both TP and BNC inputs.  There's an open
> problem report (18336) that makes me wonder:
>
>      o [2000/05/01] misc/18336         3C905B-COMBO cannot find 10base-2 LAN

Yes, these cards do work, but no, autoselect doesn't work with the BNC
port. The xl driver only does autonegotiation using 10/100 port: you can
use the 10base2 port, but you have to select it manually.

ifconfig_xl0="inet 10.0.0.1 media 10base2/BNC netmask 255.255.255.0"

The 10/100 autonegotiation is carried out automatically by the transceiver
hardware, but for 10base2, the driver would have to do a lot of its own
work to test for media presence. The 3.x driver would attempt to use the
media selection specified in the EEPROM (which can be changed with the
3C90XCFG.EXE utility that comes with the card), but the 4.x and later
driver always defaults to autonegotiate.

-Bill