Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 16:59:37 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

> > Yes, I've looked at these.  That's why I'm so disappointed that the
> > technique doesn't work.  Having played with it a bit, I'm now convinced
> > that no tweaking with errno.h can ever fix the problem.
>
> About 8 hours of work on ld could fix it.

Methinks you would be badly mistaken.  Fixing it right is almost
impossible todo, as many have tried and given up in disgust.

The existing loader is known to be broken, but fixing it breaks other
things, since it relies on many of the 'broken' features in order to
work right.  Most of the fixes don't show up even in make world
settings, but do show up later when valid programs that used to work no
longer do.

Nate