Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 16:46:58 -1001
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940 ...

} > How do these two boards actually compare?  Disregarding drivers
} > are they fairly similar in capability and speed?
}
} "depends".  the aic7770 (the chip on the 2940) is perhaps a
} slightly more gutsy device than the 53c810.

Could you elaborate a bit?

}
} The FreeBSD community _IS_ behind it, for crying out loud.  The NCR driver
} is perfectly functional, and only loses to the aic7770 driver at the
} high end because of basic hardware limitations.  I have no problems
} keeping 2 or 3 spindles quite busy with one, and given the $2-300 price
} difference here, that makes me a happy camper.

I meant to consider it more the preferred choice.  Currently, the Adaptec
seems to be the preferred board.

}
} Have you ever tried an NCR-based controller?
}

No.  Trying means buying!  And investing a whole lot of time.
That's why I'm asking all these stupid questions (for crying out loud :-).

Richard