Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:34:55 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "Alex N. Zhuravlev" <alx@scn.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS Win IP assigning

At 15:25 26.01.00 +0700, you wrote:
>Hi all !
>Please help who knows how ...
>The problem is that Win machine with misconfigured IP stack with
>"automatic assign IP address" steals my server IP address. Why and how
>can this be ?

Hi!

There are two possibilities:

1) the user has assigned a static IP in network configuration. Therefore
they collide.

2) The Win95 machine uses DHCP, and the DHCP server also assigns IP
adresses already in use by the server.
This may come by the matter that the DHCP does not recognize that a certain
IP is assigned statically on the network, and therefore thinking its still
free. Check DHCP IP tables and mask the IP in question.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)