Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:55:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, mckusick@McKusick.COM
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD fsck updated

Bruce Evans writes:
> >+ 	if (fs->fs_fmod != 0) {
> >+ 		pwarn("MODIFIED FLAG SET IN SUPERBLOCK");
> >+ 		if (preen)
> >+ 			printf(" (FIXED)\n");
> >+ 		if (preen || reply("FIX") == 1) {
> >+ 			fs->fs_fmod = 0;
> >+ 			sbdirty();
> >+ 		}
> >+ 	}

> Clearing fs_fmod here seems to be bogus.  It is set (to 0 or 1)
> unconditionally at mount time.  Similarly for fs_ronly.  I don't see
> how it can be right to clear these flags here _only_ when a certain
> type of inconsistency (that has nothing to do with these flags)
> is fixed.

We (Julian & me) are the ones who added this bit of code to clear
the modified flag after seeing a panic caused by mounting a filesystem
read-only that had this bit set (even though it was "clean", as
the previous fsck didn't clear this bit). I forget exactly how it
can happen, but it can (and did).

-Archie