Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:27:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, KapuT <malartre@aei.ca>, FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: QDOS

On Sat,  4 April 1998 at 10:22:07 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 06:56:38PM -0500, KapuT wrote:
>> Hi, dont know if all people know what I have readed one hour ago, but I
>> will say to you what I have discovered hihihi :-)
>>
>> I have readed at the bookstore in the Complete FreeBSD from Greg Lehey
>> than DOS was derivated from QDOS
>
> Yep.
>
> There's very recently been a long discussion about this in the
> alt.folklore.computers newsgroup. If you're interested in learning a
> lot more about the history behind it all, going to
>
>     <URL:http://www.dejanews.com/>;
>
> and searching for
>
>> g alt.folklore.computers ~s "DOS is stolen"
>
> (which will, I think, search only in that group for messages with that
> subject line) you'll get all the info you could possibly want.

  g alt.folklore.computers ~s DOS is stolen

works better.

I've tried fighting my way through this thread, but after 10 messages
about BASIC and PDP-10s, I gave up.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS (which by this time had been
renamed 86-DOS for marketing reasons :-) sometime in late 1980 or
early 1981.  During that time I spoke about the product to George
Gardener, the president of SCP, and expressed the opinion that Digital
Research, who had just introduced CP/M-86, would blow them out of the
water.  He said that he was confident that 86-DOS would survive, and
that they had just signed a contract with a very big computer company
("I can't tell you *how* big, or you'll know who they are") who were
going to use it in a new computer they were bringing out.  Note that
his focus was on IBM, not on Microsoft, who weren't a serious
*anything* in those days.

Greg