Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        eirvine@tpgi.com.au
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screen Blackness

In article <38084BEF.DF198449@tpgi.com.au>,
eirvine  <eirvine@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

> Just cvsupped stable, made a new kernel, made world, rebooted,
> and had my dinner & glass of wine :*)
>
> Came back and instead of my usual screensaver (fire) there was
> just a black screen. Keyboard input, mouse input etc did not
> change this. No response.
>
> I managed to login "blind" and issue a "reboot". At which stage FreeBSD
> rebooted. I'd like to provide more details -- but my hands - or eyes
> were tied.
>
> After a second glass, I've managed to repeat the problem.

We need more details in order to diagnose this problem.  What kind
of wine?  What vintage?  Did you enjoy it?  How much did it cost?
Do you feel it was at its peak, or could it benefit from a bit more
cellaring?  Would you say it was better than a working FreeBSD system,
or worse?  Have you tried repeating the problem with other varieties
of wine?  We are here to help you, but you'll have to do your part.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron