Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 07:30:54 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux -- one user's opinions

> That depends.  You can run Linux with a BSD feeling to o, since
> there is not 1 distribution.  For example, most distributions c ome
> with a SYSV init and all these horrible /etc/rc?.d directories.  B
> ut the standard linux-utils package has a BSD like init and a simple
> /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local sample file.

Horrible???!?

 Those particular scripts are one of the only things that I really
 like about sys V ( there is others ), but the ability to gracefully
 shutdown certain applications like database engines and cache
 programs is a wonderful ability. I also like the ease of being able
 to start, stop or restart any program in a sysV machine by going into
 /etc/rc.d and typing {program} stop, start or restart.

 I have often contemplated replacing the current setup with somthing a
 little more useful... like an /etc/rc.* set of directories that still
 used the /etc/sysconfig to start the system.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?