Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:56:04 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, "Ilya Balashov" <tsw@inec.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leaks & kernel panic/reboot & ahc reboot

> That is it!!!!!!
>
> Here is output 'top' after 1 day. This could easily cause a panic/reboot
> once swap has run-out and may also be related to the ahc reboot problem, and
> kernel panic reboots I have been experiencing.

You totally fail to understand how memory is managed by FreeBSD, and
are thus grasping at imaginary problems.  Don't do this.

The Active/Inactive/Wired/Cache/Buf/Free statistics refer to the
disposition of physical memory.  They are unrelated to swap usage, do
not interact with the 'ahc' driver, and are unlikely to cause anything
to panic.

Ask yourself this - if there is a fatal memory management problem in
FreeBSD, why isn't everyone else seeing it?  How many FreeBSD users are
there?  How many of you are there?

Look somewhere else for your problem.  Maybe your CPU fan has stopped
again; get someone to shine a light in your ear. 8)
--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org