Date:      24 May 2001 11:37:21 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reiser: BSD cliques

Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org> writes:
> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 07:50:17PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Find yourself a pet committer and have him review and commit your patches
> Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment. You're basically saying:
> join the clique :) When I mailed Intel CPU cache size detection patches
> to Linus Torvalds back in 97-98, he just commited them. I didn't have
> to find a pet committer.

Yes you did: Linus.  You contacted him directly.  When you submit a
PR, you don't contact a committer directly; you just add a PR to a
database that already lists thousands.

> Some people may lack the social skills needed to go out to a bar and
> socialize with a few people to find the right committer.

Who's talking about going out to a bar?  Find someone who has
previously worked on the code you have patches for, and mail him the
patches and / or a reference to the PR.  Is that so hard?

> All I'm trying to say is, why does it have to be so difficult ? If
> one person like Linus can handle hundreds of patches, why can't the
> 200+ committers handle a much smaller number of them ?

A much *larger* number of patches.  Also, Linus maintains a single
branch of a code base about one fifth the size of FreeBSD's, and
FreeBSD's 200+ committers, only a small portion actually work on
source code.

>                                                        May be there
> isn't a streamlined mechanism in place, in which case we need to
> do some work there.

Dispatching can't be done mechanically, because a machine can't
evaluate the quality of a PR, or recognize and correct a misfiled PR.
We need humans to do it, and to paraphrase Jamie Zawinski, it's monkey
work, man!  It's very tedious, time-consuming, unrewarding work, and
nobody wants to do it, so unless you're ready to volunteer for that
work, just play the game the way it's played.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org