Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:14:12 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: switch vs bridge

.
>Simple Bridge - has two ports. Maintains an internal table of MAC
>addresses, keeping track of which devices are connected to which port.
>Only transmits packets if it needs to transfer them from the segment on
>one side to the segment on the other. Usually used to connect hubs and
>separate networks into different "collision domains." DOES check for
>collisions, and will retransmit.
>
>Switch - a multiport bridge. Maintains an internal table of MAC addresses,
>keeping track of which devices are connected to which ports. Devices
>directly connected to a switch can operate in full-duplex mode.

It seems to me that a *switch* (assuming that you are talking about an
ethernet switch and not the new-fangled IP switches) would have addresses
hard-coded to specific segments) whereas a bridge generally learns them
from traffic. A switch should be immune to loops...

bridges ARE in fact switches, except they are vulnerable to broadcast storms
and loops. Switches have to forward broadcasts also (to make arps work) so
you could pass a bridge off as a switch...probably people call a bridge a
switch
if it has more than two ports....

Im testing the final version of our bwmgr bridging feature as I type...so
its way
too fresh on my mind....pretty cool though and it makes setup a whole lot
easier.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Manager

http://www.etinc.com/bwmgr.htm