Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:08:55 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Monitoring

As Charles Mott wrote:

> Are there any programs that use the bpf device to log addresses and make
> a summary?  I guess that I would be interested in two levels of summary:
> (1) all tcp/udp connections, which would be very long, and (2) summary of
> outside addresses for incoming and outgoing connections on a given day.

Not that i know of.  However, i'm using tcpdump successfully for such
purposes myself.  I usually run a Perl script over it nightly, this
gives me something like a ``live firewalling'' that proved to be very
useful in the past.  (It often detects even slight anomalities.)  I
also archive the logs for later perusal for quite some time, so i can
review them if the summary script yielded some sign of weirdness.

Btw., the `gateway' keyword comes useful for it.  It allows
restricting the monitored traffic to gatewayed traffic (IP traffic
that goes to/from an particular ethernet address but is not destined
for the associated IP address).

--
cheers, J"org