Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD drive.

I'm attempting violate the DMCA and exercise my fair use rights
(amazingly, in a single act) on my laptop.  What I was trying to do, just
for fun, was play a DVD (The Matrix in this particular case) on my root
window.  The problem comes in trying to read the .vob from the DVD itself.
I get the following errors:

acd0: READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=6f ascq=03 error=00

I can boot Win2k and play the movie, but damnit, that's not the point.

Here's the dmesg info on the DVD ROM drive:

acd0: DVD-ROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402> at ata1-master using UDMA33

I can mount the filesystem just fine, and it accesses audio and data CDs
with no problems.  It's just reading the .vob(s) where I have problems.
Anyone have a clue?  Laptop is a Dell Latitude CPx.  Have people seen this
on desktop systems or other laptops?

Trying to cat or copy the *.vob(s) always produce this error.  My next
step is to attempt to dump | restore on the device, but I suspect the
error will not go away, if dump will even access a CD/DVD device anyway.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"