Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:22:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: PCI/EISA/ISA performance

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Frank Durda IV wrote:

> [0]"Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> [0]On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> [0]ISA does not have a specified clock frequency, I have seen it running
> [0]as fast as 16Mhz.  Most boards die above 10Mhz, but some of the more
> [0]specialized industrial applications boards are spec'd upto 12 or 16Mhz.
>
> Actually, there is an IEEE standard on timing and performance for
> the ISA bus.  It came out in the late eighties.   I don't have it here
> (we have a copy at work) but I am pretty sure it says 8.33MHz is
> the IEEE spec.
>
> We used this spec recently when fighting Intel over some non-compliance
> on IOW timing.

I've found this topic, and the way you guys are handling it, incredibly
interesting.  Could I ask for one more comment?  I have been recommending
friends to buy VLB bus stuff instead of PCI, because of all the PCI
incompatibilities and bugs I've read about, and because my own experience
with my Adaptec 2842 and FreeBSD is so great (thanks, Justin!).  Do you
think my feelings are still valid, for anyone not staying as current as,
say, Rod Grimes?

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!