Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:37:44 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        pb1170@charter.net
Subject:   Re: Trouble compiling XFree86 under 4.9R

On Nov., 13, 2003 Patrick Burnett <pb1170@charter.net> wrote:

>Here's the scenario:
>
>I installed 4.9R via FTP with the Developer option from the setup
>menu...the one that is supposed to have all sources, binaries, et al.,
>and presumably all libs and tools needed for compiling code.  (Someone
>clue me in here...I'm new at this so maybe I'm off base.)  I got the new
>clean system up to the shell and CVSup'd for SRC-ALL and PORTS-ALL. From
>there I ran 'make all install clean distclean' under XFree86-4 to
>compile X.  The first time I had only CVSup'd for PORTS-ALL and it
>looked to the Internet to download the source.  It errored out with a
>slew of messages such as these:
>
>/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:273: warning: '_POSIX_C_SOURCE' is not defined
>/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:279: warning: '_POSIX_C_SOURCE' is not defined
>
>Then it listed an internal compiler error, did a core dump and exited
>from its task.  I thought the source it was looking up on the Internet
>might be either incomplete or incorrect so I then CVSup'd for SRC-ALL
>and tried again.  It started out fine finding the source
>locally...looked peachy and then the same thing happened as listed
>above.  Same identical messages.  What went wrong?
>
>Help me Obi Wan,
>Pat Burnett

First off, technical questions should be sent to freebsd-questions, not
-newbies. There's many reasons for this; the best one is that you deserve
the best assistance the community can offer.

Another good reason is that newbies can, very easily, be wrong about
things, and it's not always caught on this list. (With that in mind, read
what follows with a grain of salt.)

However, I might be able to offer you a bit of advice to make your question
to the list better.

First to clear up cvsup (it seemed like you wanted clarification of this).
When you cvsup the sources, that gets the operating system source code;
cvsup'ing ports updates the ports tree structure (Makefiles, etc.). When
you go to build an application from ports, it will probably need to fetch
the
sources from an ftp server. (You were probably using the same source
code both times, hence the identical failure.)

About the error during building X: I have also seen the precompiler error
you wrote about, but have always had X components build and run fine.
That's not to say the problem isn't indicated by those errors, just that I
don't
experience it here. You'll probably want to include the complier error and
any other information you can get in your message to -questions.

(On a whim, I want to recommend that you use /stand/sysinstall to get the
base system fully working, which would probably get the proper packages
for X. As I'm a newbie, I'll just mention it as the first thing I'd try.
Note that
that will probably not get the newest X components, and will likely get the
packages available for that release. Again, I'm not sure on that either.)

The install business... Well, I know about as much as you on this one... (I
read
the help item for it...)

hope that helps you get started.

Peace,
Clayton

Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.