Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 02:52:32 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Benjamin <dan@abyss.void.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UPS Systems

Dan Benjamin wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960808115914.257B-100000@abyss.void.net>:
> It would be nice to locate a UPS and software that would be smart enough
> to actually shutdown the box when the time came and restart it later with
> a power-cut (some I've seen play with run levels).

Umm? The best that you can hope for is that monitoring s/w on the
machine(s) notices that the battery is getting low and does the
shutdown for you. The APC SmartUPS & MatrixUPS series can take SNMP
cards and it's not THAT difficult to get a client monitoring the UPS
and to do a shutdown when needed (The APC SNMP card will even give you
an expected runtime estimate given current load :-) ).

Reading through the SNMP MIB for the APC, it seems that it turns the
power back on automatically on restoration of power (and from
experience it does), but with SNMP you can configure a delay to allow
the UPS to charge BEFORE starting to load it again.

Even without the optional SNMP card, the APC BackupUPS (and higher)
machines have serial ports which can be used to alert a daemon on the
system to impending battery death. A lot of similar products from
other manufacturers (ViewSonic, Tripp Lite, for example) have similar
features, but I've only worked with the APC models.

Gary