Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 96 00:10:50 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>

For those just turning in..
I have been exchanging some messages with Jordan regarding creating a
simple database for the mailing list.

Those who would like to participate in this exiting project are welcome
to send me  email. No help is to little so don't be shy; do the right
thing and volunteer! <g>

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 20:00:19 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> Do we want to index the entire header? This will take a lot more space.
>> I suggest we index the following fields:
>> Date, From, to, subject, sender
>
>I agree, unless there are any other header lines we can't recreate.
>Do we need To?  I guess if it was sent to the list and someone else,
>we want to preserve that, though by those rights we should also
>preserve cc.

You lost me. I was talking about what to index not what to keep. I was
thinking of keeping everything. Since we are indexing on every word,
the index can get pretty big so I figure it didn't make any sense to
index the routing info.

>> What separates the messages? From looking at what you sent it seems

>Yeah, there's an RFC for this somewhere - 882?  You should probably read
>this as it gives all the valid separator information.

Where do one finds this RFCs?

>> Do you keep one file for all mailing lists?
>One file per mailing list.

How do the messages reach this file? Should I worry about getting the
individual messages from somewhere and placing them in the database
directly? Eventually everything will go into database tables so it
won't make much of a difference whether I get them from a big file or
directly from their original location.