Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:28:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        arnee <arnee@geocities.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS and Samba (file transfer crashes system)

:Hello,
:
:Not sure if this is the right place to report this. My system (server)
:crashes when i transfer files FROM a client (unix and win9x). The error
:seems to be random because i can sometimes transfer a whole directory
:that is more than 50mgs or so and sometimes i can't even transfer
:anything less than 15mgs.
:
:System:
:
:pcchips m571 with cyrix 6x86
:promise ultra66
:
:Anyone interested in more info let me know. Plus, is this kind of thread
:encourage in this list? I'm simply wondering if this would help,
:otherwise i could just follow cvs and hope things will work.
:
:arnee

    Well, you haven't given very much information.  What FreeBSD OS release
    (or, if current, when did you last sync your source tree)?  If you are
    running an older release the very first thing you need to do is upgrade
    to the latest -stable or -current depending on which tree you are using.

    You haven't described very well exactly what the situation is... you
    talk of NFS and Samba but you do not say which one the transfer is going
    over.

    If the machine still crashes then we need to know what the panic message
    is.  It may be useful to configure a kernel with DDB enabled to cause it
    to drop into DDB on a crash (this assuming you aren't running X on the
    machine, since DDB only runs on the console).  In that case you should be
    able to obtain the panic message and do a 'trace' to get more detailed
    information on where the box is crashing.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>