Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 06:37:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      david lawrence hoenig <gineoh@engin.umich.edu>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Can't install 2.0-RELEASE on EIDE HD

Hello-

I have read all the newsgroups on freebsd and I didn't see anything on
this so I'm asking you.  I just got a DELL P75 w/ EIDE 1.0 gigabyte hard
drive.  Here's the default CMOS geometry:

	cylndrs		heads	sectors		size
	 525		 64	  63	        1083 megabytes

problem is FreeBSD says it can't handle 64 heads and reverts to 16 in
which case it will then not boot from the hard disk.  I have tried
setting the cmos to 16 heads and 2100 cylinders which seems to work for
BSD and allows me use of the entire disk, but then the DOS partition
doesn't work.  I have tried writing my own partition table with different
geometry for the two partitions with little success.  I was able to get BSD
to boot from the Hard disk, but dos would always have to be booted from a
floppy, and the two partions only totaled 800 of my 1000 megs.  It
seems others would have encountered this problem and there must be an easy
fix that I am missing.  Any suggestions would be _greatly_ appreciated.

-David Hoenig