Date:      Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:11:52 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Dario Freni <saturnero@freesbie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Hi Dario,

>Just made the first boot :) A small report:
>
>- previously, we used to add 32Mb to the mfsroot size
normally
>  required. Apparently OpenFirmware didn't like this. Here
is the
>  loader output:

>/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x34a094+0x52208 syms=[0x4+0x49672]
>/ [rotating some seconds]
>Invalid memory access at        %SRR0: 01c18620 %SRR1:
00083030

>Then the OpenFirmware prompt again. Resolved by removing the
exceeding
>32Mb.

 What's happening here is that the mfsroot is overwriting
the loader. On the powermac, the loader is placed at
0x1c00000 to try and avoid a conflict with OpenFirmware
memory usage (this location was pinched from bootx). So,
you're somewhat limited in mfsroot size, since it's placed
in memory by the loader directly after the kernel (and
before the loader itself).

>- usually we extensively use md memory fs union-mounted on
compressed
>  fs for /usr, /var and /root. Keeping this behaviour atm
results on
>  an instantaneous reboot apparently on the "Creating/
trimming log
>  files" phase during the init. I'm not sure about this
because, as I
>  said, the reboot is fast, no panic and no freeze.
>
>I temporarily resolved removing the unionfs, but I really
want to make
>this work. Are there still problems with unionfs on recent -
currents?

 Do you get this on -i386 ? Is it possible to isolate
this down to a small test case that can be run on a
non-FreeSBIE ppc system ?

later,

Peter.