Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:25:43 -0700
From:      dgkerr@juno.com
To:        chicago30s@yahoo.com
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, scott@bsdprophet.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding freebsd box to home LAN

Hi All,

I do not qualify as an expert by any means, but...

In my limited experience with a 3com 3c509 NIC and FreeBSD, you need to
get the dos disk, boot in dos and disable plug an play on this NIC.
Manually set the NIC, and the IRQ.  I have not been successful on two or
three of these until Plug and Play is disabled.

Also, what is bandwidth on the rest of your LAN?  Is it 100baseT?  You
may have issues with a 10baseT and 100baseT on the same network.

Regards,
George

George Kerr
Web-Pilot