Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:17:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        Studded@dal.net, hoek@hwcn.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6039

>> Is it possible to fix something up so that fdimage won't try to write
>> the image if it wasn't transferred in binary mode?  This would eliminate
>> about 80% of the questions about this in -questions.
> Offhand, I imagine it would be trivial.

Hmm... I see four ways:

a) changing the file format (clearly the Wrong Thing)

b) adding a separate CRC file (not a bad idea, that)

c) scanning for any bare newlines, and warning if it's not there
   (hmmmm... possibly good, I'd like to calculate the probability of
   there being bare newlines present)

d) verifying that the file size is exactly 1 disk.  If that's the
   case, then such a patch would be marvelous.

> Why is it that so many people transfer it in ascii mode?

Are there still OS's being released with an ftp that use ascii as the
default for all files?

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming: