Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:02:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion on slow probing devices

> If you say, "OK, I'll start one slow thing, then bail out and let everyone
> else initialize" (including the others who also quickly bail out), then after
> a bit the ball comes back to you.  Now what?  If you start something else
> slow and then say "come back later", there will be less and less other
> drivers needing initialization to spend the intervening time on.

True. If you're slow enough there's no big gain. The point is that the
mechanism (return a status that says poll me again) is no more complex
than (poll in two phases), and in one specific case it's going to be a
big win: when you have two or more populated SCSI busses. Right now you
have a delay with *each* device on *each* bus. If you used this mechanism
it'd just naturally probe all busses in parallel.