Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:07:50 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        raw.value.of.a.sysadmin@Radford.i-Plus.net

Can someone help me with a personal problem?

Since my introduction to PC's 2 1/2 years ago, I've taught myself how
to use DOS and Windows.  2 years ago, I got introduced to FreeBSD and
Linux.  For reasons I can't understand now, I went with linux for a
long time.  About 8 months ago, I made the switch to FreeBSD, and
have been here ever since.  3 months ago, my boss approached me, and
asked if I was comfortable enough with UNIX and networking in general
to set up an ISP.  I said "sure, why not?  If nothing else, it'll be
worth the learning experience."

1 month ago, we went live.  Our T1 and PRI got installed, and I got
my first taste at what it takes to run an ISP.  Last week, we started
taking on customers.  We've been getting 2-5 people signing up per
day, and it looks like the rate will increase soon.

What I need to know, is what am I worth?  I feel that I'm worth a
hell of a lot more than I'm making right now, even with out a college
degree.  I'm sinking the better part of my availiable time into this,
and am seeing very little gratification and compensation.  Am I worth
$20k?  $30k?  more?

So far, the most pleasurable part of my job, has been talking to
customers that needed assistance in getting their software configured
properly.  (yeah, I'm doing tech support too)

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

( Stuff I said does not reflect the company I work  )
( for unless I'm speaking on behalf of said company )