Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:36:27 -0800
From:      Ron Gilbert <lists@rzweb.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd timeout

I am trying to figure out how to keep a remote ssh session from being
timed out by my FreeBSD (5.3) server.

I've done a lot of searching on the subject, and everyone points to
ClientAliveInterval, ClientAliveCountMax and KeepAlive in sshd_config.
  Problem is, these setting don't help since they seem to be about
connections closing, not leaving a terminal session idle.

My problem is I've ssh'd in from my Mac to my FreeBSD server, and I
need that ssh window to stay open forever.  Right now it closes after
about 30 minutes of nothing being sent either way.

Sometimes I get a "Connection closed" error, and sometimes the Mac
terminal window just hangs and I have to close it.  I have the same
problem when shh'ing in from a Windows machine using Putty, except
Putty has a option to send NUL chars every X minutes to keep the
session alive, which works, but I would rather just keep the server
from timing it out, and I don't use a Widows machine anymore.

Is there a way to fix this?

Ron