Date:      Mon,  7 Dec 1998 20:59:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolver behaviour

Quoth Christopher Nielsen on Mon, 7 December:
: As has been stated previously by many others, the solution to this problem
: is NOT to hack the resolver (this is not the location of the problem), but
: to have the domain administrator fix the problem with their broken DNS.

It's a non-solution, though.  A hack can actually ameliorate the
problem, and enhance end-user function, whereas idealism won't even do
that.

: I agree with Jordan's response. Present these changes to Paul Vixie.

So far the discussion has suggested two new features:  domain-specific
nameservers in resolv.conf, and the algorithm of my immediately prior
mail.  IMO, the former is good, period, and should fly.  The latter is
probably not good enough to fly yet.  I'm still hopeful that someone
will make a suggestion that will result in a more acceptable solution,
however.  Recent events are heartening!