Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:17:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd + synfloods + ip spoofing

While chatting with my fellow administrator we were discussing (yes, the age
old argument) freebsd vs linux. One of the points he made was that even the
latest releases of fbsd are easy to synflood & spoof. Now for us and OUR
users this isn't a problem since we have filters on our cisco that disallows
spoofing but lets face it, most ISP's are clueless. My roommate who keeps up
with fbsd somewhat more than I do was just chatting with me about this fact
and mentioned that someone is working on the socket code and I thought I'd
mention this problem since it is (imho) a SERIOUS security problem for those
who don't neccessarily know better.

On the same topic I had been doing some thinking about tcp sequecing and I
was contemplating using a DES noise generator to procude pseudo-random
numbers (this idea compliments of the folks on #unix) for the sequencing,
any comments?

Brett