Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:09:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing a port/package of NEdit

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> It does indeed look pretty slick, though I can't figure out how to
> rebind the keys so I can say that I probably will not be using it
> myself.  My fingers are wired to EMACS, and I just naturally dive for
> ^P (for example) when I want to move up a line.  After inadvertantly
> seeing the print dialog twice, I exited nedit for the last time.. :-)

I should probably give you a hard time for having programmed your
fingers in a non-reconfigurable way, but I won't.  :)

Do some reading in Help/X Resources in the section "Binding Keys to
Actions", and int Help/Action Routines.  I did a little experimenting
with the info there, and changed Ctrl-P from print to cursor up by adding
the following lines to my .Xdefaults file:

# Detach Ctrl-P from File/Print...
nedit*fileMenu.print.accelerator:
# Remove "Ctrl+P" from File menu
nedit*fileMenu.print.acceleratorText:
# Bind Ctrl-P to cursor up function
nedit*text.Translations: #override \
  Ctrl<Key>p: process-up()

I'll let you take it from there...

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503