Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 18:15:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Eblan Y Farris <eyfarris@gdwest.gd.com>, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netsite communications server works Great

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> In message <9508240351.AA18358@gdwest.gd.com>, Eblan Y Farris writes:
> >What is better with the Netscape server when
> >compared to the NCSA?
>
> Depending on which Netscape server you are talking about, probably the
> encryption/security.

Yes, the commerce server has this. I'll be dumping it soon to put just
the communications server in place, though. If nothign else, it should be
a smaller binary. Dunno if the memory consumption will be any less.

> Netscape has a nice HTML based administration section, although it'll
> probably only be used to set it up.

I assume you've never seen the whole thing. There's a lot of useful stuff
in there. You can up, restart and shut down the server, alter the max and
min number of processes you run at once, read and rotate the logs, get
current and overall load reports. One kinda okay thing is the abilty to
remap directories from there instead of needing to go to the line and do
symlinks. So if you want just /tech-papers to point to
/usr/home/dorks/babble, you can do it from the interface. It's a no
brainer for me to do it, but the Windoze folks I work with don't have to
learn anything new. (Apparently a life goal for some of them)

The setup was easier than _anything_ I have ever set up before. Even the
directory choices and things were through the web browser, which doesn't
have to be local. (A big plus for me, I don't run X so I can save the
memory and cycles) You can lock out administration logins by IP
(including subnets - mine is 147.70.*.*, so you gotta be a MDCC person to
access it)

I'm not saying I'da paid $1500 of my money or my exployers money for it,
but their nonprofit deal was certainly worth it. I'm trying to convince
the network guys here to dump the Netware NLM server they have now (with
no CGI! jeez...) for communications server on NT. (anti-unix bigots,
don't flame me about it...)