Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:00:00 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default rules in rc.firewall cause problem

On 22 Oct 98, at 14:06, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, could your explanation be the cause of I'm seeing here?  And would
> > the modification to the rule make sense?
>
> Yes.
>
> > $fwcmd add deny all from any to 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 via ${oif} out
>
> As long as that comes before the natd divert, it will keep any packets
> resulting from the crack attempt from going back.  Most DOS attacks don't
> need to get their replies back, however.  It's better than nothing,
> though.

For what it's worth, I moved the modified rule to be above the divert.  It
seems to work fine.  As it did before, but as you say, better than
nothing.  Cheers.

> > It will deny all out going packets but allow incoming packets, which are
> > what natd is effectively doing.  If I read /etc/rc.firewall correctly,
> > there are other default rules higher up in the list which will prevent
> > incoming packets pretending to be from 192.168.0.0/24.  For example:
>
> The problem is, under -stable, when a packet going back into a
> masqueraded connection goes into natd, it comes back out starting all over
> at the first rule, and the firewall rules have no way of knowing that the
> packet didn't really come from the outside world.

This may be enough to push us onto -current.  Will the fix be included
with 2.2.8?

Thanks.  Your help has been appreciated.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited