Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:25:53 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        chip@wiegand.org, james@dragonmount.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie who is fed up with windows!

> From: "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
> To: chip@wiegand.org, james@dragonmount.com
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Newbie who is fed up with windows!
> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:42:38 -0700
>

> I didn't catch the original message (again), so I'll reply to a reply:
>
> If the modem is, in fact, a WinModem (which, BTW, means that the modem
> functions-the modulation and demodulation-are done by your CPU instead of
> the modem itself) it may work in Linux.

    From what I understand from the posts to this list, you just might
    be able to use this modem in FreeBSD. It is my understanding that a
    good portion of the so-called winmodems use a chip by Lucent
    Technologies, and there's a "driver" (kernel module, actually) for
    this in the ports: /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm.

> Linux may also be a better choice for a new Unix user, due to the fact
> that there are severl distributions of Linux that are more user
> friendly that will more smoothly ease you into the Unix way of doing
> things, which is almost always different.

    Linux might be better choice if you're not really interested in the
    inner workings of the system. I mean, every gui gets in the way on
    the (generally correct) premise that if you prefer a gui, you don't
    want to know how it works, and you don't want to, because you would
    only got confused from too much information.

    And then there's the "Linux User" attitude... I've found FreeBSD
    people to be much friendlier than 99% Linux users I've ever met.
    Especially to newbies.

> I have found that FreeBSD users are more likely to have come from
> other Unix systems, such as Linux or Solaris, and have found that they
> like its design better.  It is generally not considered the best
> choice for someone arriving freshly from Windows, though.

    I did it. You can do it, too.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
3:14PM up 1 day, 22:59, 14 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00