Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 02:06:05 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/926: Mounting nfs disks before starting mountd: Chicken or Egg problem

>Number:         926
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Mounting nfs disks before starting mountd: Chicken or Egg problem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	Machine A:  nfs server, but also mounts disks from B.  Primary name
	server.

	Machine B:  nfs server, but also mounts disks from A.

	Two problems:

	A only crashes:  locks up in mount -a -t nfs, as B does not get
	name server replies.  This probably is a problem in mount, as it
	should try secondary name servers, but apparently it does not.

	A and B both crash (this happens often, as after A crashes B goes
	into a deadlock in the nfs code).  Both get stuck in
	mount -a -t nfs, as neither system has mountd running yet.
	Breaking mount from either machine gets them up, one without nfs
	disks.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Set up two FreeBSD machines to mount each others disks and reboot
	both of the simultaneously.

>Fix:

	I am trying moving mount -a -t nfs after starting mountd and nfsiod in
	/etc/rc.  We will see what happens with the next crash.