Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:11:59 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, "" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/dump Makefile cache.c dump.8 dump.h main.c traverse.c

[from cvs-all@]

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:

MD>     (Though it should be noted that without snapshots, 'dump' cannot be
MD>     used to create a safe backup of a live system that is undergoing
MD>     change, whether the cache is turned on or not).

Yeah, I'm aware of this, as it was discussed rather thoroughly; anyway, we'd
decided that not-so-consistent backup of mostly _file_ servers (hosting and
similar) is better than both no backup at all and shutdown maintenance windows
;-)

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]