Date:      Fri, 02 May 2003 11:15:14 -0500
From:      Jesus Cash <jesuscash@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another reason to like FreeBSD

Also it seems lately tha the major distributions of Linux are full of
bloat, not getting to be much different than Windows. I have a P100
laptop I use for writing and some times some Nintendo emulation. I tried
even let me do that. Just flat out said no way, your system sucks.

Where I work there's a group of people some of us call the Cult of
Gentoo. While one of them is just doing it to fit in (the guy can hardly
tech Windows, which is our job), they all talk about about Gentoo's ease
of use compared to the other distros and other *NIX kernels, their
arguements inevitably lead to Gentoo's "emerge" function. I keep telling
them that FreeBSD has two very similar systems of installing programs,
and it does it about the same, downloading dependencies automatically.
Not too sure if Gentoo patches itself either. Not to mention I didn't
have to go through some huge set-up to get FreeBSD running AND FreeBSD
actually detected my NIC, which Gentoo didn't. Another guy at work and I
are just getting into FreeBSD and already we've had less issues than the
guys that have been running Gentoo since they first put it out. One of
these days I'm gonna log into "The Cult's" computers and change their
desktop wallpapers to BSD centric images.

Viva La Revolution! :P

-B

P.S.
I know there may still be some linux ethusists out there on this list,
this is nothing against you or Linux, it's against just some of the
kernel's followers. I'm sure there are some who can argue this better
than they can and beat me, but eh... I'm only defending my kernel of
choice from the uninformed. After all, despite "The Cult's" presence, I
still take all the Linux calls.