Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 15:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Roger M. Levasseur" <rml@midnight.mv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   overlapped scsi commands

Well, I too am getting the "overlapped commands" hiccup on my system here.
I'm running on a AHA-1542C, FreeBSD 2.1.5, and sd0 is a Quantum XP32150.

Until November, I was running the Quantum externally with IDE drives
(master & slave), with the primary IDE drive as the boot-up device.  I
was running FreeBSD 1.1 during this time.  I also have internally on the
SCSI bus a CD/ROM drive and a QIC-525 drive.  During the later part of
November, I removed the IDE drives (the system is now IDE free :-) and
relocated the Quantum disk into an internal drive bay with it as the
boot device, and loaded up with 2.1.5.   Since that time I've received
several incidents like the following;

Dec 15 22:33:46 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): timed out
Dec 15 22:33:47 midnight last message repeated 2 times
Dec 15 22:33:47 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
Dec 15 22:33:47 midnight /kernel: , retries:1

They are very infrequent, but not desired at all.  There have been
suggestions about proper termination.  In anticipation of doing this
change-over, the new internal SCSI cable was installed some weeks ago and
no problems emerged.  termination+power is provided by the 8Plex cd/rom
drive.  The Quantum has it's termination jumper removed, but is also
supplying termination power to the bus.

However, it has been easy to note that looking at the archive that
many instances of this similar thing deals with the 'aha' device.
One post (I believe it was dated August 1996) said that it was the
result of a driver problem and that it was fixed in "-current" (which
ever tree that was at the time and what it has become today I do not
know).

So, can anybody state that this is a driver problem and if there is
a resolution, which version has the fix, or is this a question of
cable or termination?

The problem has been a sure bet chance of happening once or twice in
the 25 minutes it takes to backup my system to tape (QIC-525), though
it is not limited to just that activity.  Note the following:

Dec  4 21:48:22 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): timed out
Dec  4 21:48:22 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): timed out
Dec  4 21:48:22 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
Dec  4 21:48:22 midnight /kernel: , retries:2
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): timed out
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: sd0(aha0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: , FAILURE
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 204 failure
Dec  4 21:48:23 midnight /kernel: pid 204 (netscape), uid 1231: exited on signal 11

Resuming use of a netscape executable caused page-in activity that in the
face of this overlapped command hiccup (this is the only time that the
FAILURE was generated in all of the incidents), resulted in the process
being terminated.

thanks in advance,

   -roger

--