Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:54:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        "'Justin Hawkins'" <justin@hawkins.dropbear.id.au>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph as VPN client to Cisco 2500

Lars Eggert writes:
> this doesn't look like the same bug described in the link you posted.
> The other bug caused negotiation to completely fail, while it succeeds
> in your case.
>
> Looks like there's something else wring. What does your ifconfig look
> like after the link is up?
>
> > I'm trying to setup a VPN connection to my work's staff
> > network. I think I'm running into the problem described here:
> >
> > http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7311422&list=165
> >
> > IE: The physical IP address of the cisco device is the same
> > as the tunnel endpoint address, and packets get encapsulated
> > recursively.

Yes, this is the same problem. Mpd and the kernel have both
been modified since that posting:

- mpd will disallow the 'fatal' scenario
- the 'fatal' scenario is no longer fatal, i.e., instead of the
  kernel panicing, it will just return the 'deadlock avoided'
  error

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this yet. However you can
try one trick, which is to set up a host route to the remote
IP address via your default gateway. I'm not sure if this will
work but it might (please report success/failure if you try it).

-Archie