Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:04:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        peter@wemm.org
Cc:        wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl, obrien@FreeBSD.org, alpha@FreeBSD.org, developers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dropping compiler support in -current

On 17 Aug, Peter Wemm wrote:

> - There are going to be alpha boxes around for another year so so. The
> hardware is  viable for  a while  more yet.  The problem  is developer
> time.

I'd like  to point  out, that this  port is important  not only  for the
actual users of  Alpha. Maintaining it already helped  and will continue
helping improving our code -- most importantly in the 64-bitness area.

This should  help us  jump onto  IA-64 and whatever  else the  future is
bringing much quicker.

	-mi