Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:32:01 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>
Cc:        "danny@FreeBSD.ORG" <danny@FreeBSD.ORG>, jabley@patho.gen.nz, dom@happygiraffe.net, brian@awfulhak.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, lee@uk.freebsd.org, freebsd-users@uk.freebsd.org, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Hi,
Dominik Brettnacher wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, danny@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
>
> > Whoa.  That's going to lead to a large, deep directory tree, with zillions
> > of little files, one per ISP.
> > What about we consider a file per country, with sections for each ISP.
>
> Why do you want to use large flat files instead of a file system? The
> Ports Collection also works fine with lots of little files. I think little
> files are easier to maintain.

A number of ports people a few months back were regretting all those little
files, quite a number would have liked to see them amalgamated into something
that uses less files, trouble is it's hard to change at this stage:
3200 ports, & things like pib know the format too.

CVS checkout of ports/ takes forever compared with src/, & src/ is a lot bigger
(in du, not in inodes).  Not yet being trapped to use tons of files to describe
ISPs, seems sensible to consider some way of not using too many files :-)

BTW whoever decides the format, don't forget countries sometimes merge
(EG E & W Germany), & sometimes split (EG [name your favourite independence
movement]), as well as companies etc.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/