Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:09:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

[ On Wednesday, March 22, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote: ]
> > 	What about those of us with AWE64 GOLD boards?  The board itself does
> > quite well with most PCI based boards available today.  As for upgrades,
> > would a Vibra16 really count as an upgrade?
>
> Why not send us one and we'll have Cameron Grant look at it?  He is
> somewhat constrained by the hardware available to him, and being off
> in the UK and stuck in a wheelchair to boot doesn't exactly give him
> the best access.
>
> > 	If we're going to be forced to use newer boards, what about
> > SoundBlaster Live, Diamond Fusion, and other modern Aureal/Dolby based
> > PCI sound boards?  Will pcm support those out of the box, or are we now
> > going to have to wait for some other driver to be developed?
>
> It doesn't support them out of the box now, but I can tell you that
> Cameron is certainly working on at least the Soundblaster Live support
> since we did send him one and I've heard him complaining bitterly
> about it on several occasions. :)  If somebody wants to send him
> a Diamond Fusion card, I would be happy to "broker" the deal.

The following is not venom directed at jkh, or anybody in general--it is an
honest question/statement/opinion:

Rather than having a user send Cameron Grant a Diamond Fusion Card, or any
other "bleeding edge" or "old 'n' crusty" sound card to play with, shouldn't
FreeBSD, Inc. or Walnut Creek itself be proactively shipping willing
developers like this all the hardware they can purchase? I know that it is
done, has been done, and will continue to be done--it just seems to me like
another appropriate time to spend <= $100US from the profits generated by CD
sales.

There are many many of us who faithfully buy the CD subscription and basically
use the discs as shiny playtoys for our toddlers. I will continue to buy it
too because "money gets rolled back into the project for further development"
and with such limited time, that's how I "support" FreeBSD (along with
evangelism being the only "FreeBSD leper" here at work amongst the
Linux-ites).

I think that users sending people who have the time and talent for writing
drivers for the hardware is a grand idea. But, I think an equally grand idea
is onsie-twosie hardware (such as sound cards, NICs, etc.) being purchased by
Walnut Creek and/or FreeBSD, Inc. "automatically." Comments?

(again, this is not meant to be accusatory to jkh or anybody specifically, and
I'm not asking for "justification of my CD purchase" in any way ... just
stating my US $0.02).

Cheers,

-Jr