Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:13:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > > ftp://csvax.cs.caltech.edu/pub/stripe.tar
> > >
> > > which might be somewhat helpful - a rather dated (4.2?) attempt at
> > > a simplistic striping device driver.
> >
> > Any one want to buy my Quantum Empire 2100 for $800, it's less than 120 days
> > old, as I am now going to sell it off and go buy 4 very fast 500MB
> > drive and make a stripe driver out of this code :-).
>
> This might be going overboard.  Is there any reason you can't divide it
> up into four logical drives and stripe it that way?  Save you eating
> some $ on your disk drives (the better to spend on coffee, I suppose).

But doing that won't make things go any faster, and the whole reason
I want to do this is 5MB/sec is not fast enough for my tastes.  Also
I have a real system running on that 2 G drive, if I replace it with
4 drives I could put my system on 2 drives pretty easily and have
2 whole drives to play with.

If I try to slice up my 2 G drive I run the chance of creaming my
running system :-(, and I won't be able to measure concurrency :-(.

> As long as you are careful about your placement of your synchronization
> primitives, it shouldn't be an issue that you're really only using one
> drive.

I will test that, there are even some comments in the README about
making it SMP safe :-).

> How low level is the code?  I haven't had a chance to look at it yet
> myself... if it's SCSI command level, then forget I said anything and
> go for the multiple drives; otherwise, it'd be nice if it were general
> enough to use on anything for which a device could be obtained (ESDI
> or MFM layered above the media correction, etc.).  Pretending to have
> multiple drives on a single drive would be "good practice" for getting
> the code to be as general as possible...

It is general, it runs above the bdev/cdev layer.  It could care less about
the device itself.  Looks very similiar to the way you set up stripes
on an Auspex.