Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 19:05:57 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from CD

Hi Florent,

> 	I thought PPC could work in both endian modes (31th or 63th bit
> 	of MSR), that would mean FreeBSD/ppc could read UFS volumes
> 	created by FreeBSD/i386 but not the opposite.
>
> 	Please tell me if I'm wrong.

  Little-endian mode has varying degress of support on different
processor models (e.g. none on the G5).

  Like it or not, PowerPC == big endian.

  The real fix for UFS interoperability is the NetBSD approach, but that
has a complexity in making sure that *all* metadata reads/writes are
appropriately swapped.

later,

Peter.