Date:      26 Mar 2002 00:01:55 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/35378: Handbook has inaccurate description of  freebsd-security list

Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com> writes:

>  I reread this pr, and feel strongly that it can be closed.
>
>  Opions?

Assuming that you don't want to do more research on it, you might give
the PR author a chance to survey opinion on -security and report back.
I didn't notice -security in the CC list and it seems like something
that they should have some say about.

My 2 cents: The -security charter has a few more words than the
description's "security issues", but is nearly as nebulous.  It seems
fitting that the list should get a wide variety of threads.  I don't
know how charter changes get made around here, but it seems to me that
list charters shouldn't get changed without some kind of survey of
readers.  If they want less variety of messages, then they should
"authorize" a change of the charter AND the description.

I'll also note that the list is in the "general" list of lists, not the
"technical list" of lists.  The PR's changes, if made, should probably
also be accompanied by a move of the list to "technical" list of lists.

Rant: The term "technical discussion", which gets bandied about many of the
charters, seems to apply to any list except maybe -chat (and there only
in the charter, not the list!), and leaves me wondering what is really
meant.