Date:      Sun, 27 May 2018 11:28:30 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com>
Cc:        "M. P." <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD on Mac

On Sun, May 27, 2018, 10:03 Felix Friedlander <felixphew0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 27 May 2018, at 10:23, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, May 27, 2018, 08:02 M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello I have succeded in creating an install disk for Mac but when I t=
ry
> >> to install single user the process hangs and I get the message  Power
> Fault
> >> Detected. Any Ideas? Does the Mac hard drive have to be formatted for
> FBSD?
> >
> > I wouldn't recommend trying to run anything not Mac OS on their machine=
s.

> > If your Mac is up to version 11.2 or lower you should be fine.
> >
> > The new Mac hardware actively does things to thwart anyone who tries to
> run
> > non Mac OS.
> >
> > Even if you do get it up and running, the wifi will be broken so you'll
> > need a dongle.
> >
> > GPU will give you trouble as well.
> >
> > If it's one of the newer Mac with those led buttons you're totally out =
of
> > luck.
> >
> > If you are able to reverse engineer custom hardware and write custom
> > drivers then you might be OK.
> >
> > If not, either run FreeBSD in a VM on Mac, sell that Mac and buy a
> > compatible laptop or ...
> >
> > Best,
> > Owen
>
> On the contrary, I=E2=80=99ve had great success running FreeBSD on Apple =
hardware.
> The hardware=E2=80=99s not actively thwarting anything, and FreeBSD alrea=
dy has
> drivers for most of the custom or less common hardware. (The one exceptio=
> is Wi-Fi, which is unlikely to work unless you have quite an old Mac.)
>
> When you say the boot process hangs, does the entire OS stop responding,
> or just the installer? Is there any more detail in the message than Power
> Fault Detected?
>
> And to answer your question, yes, the hard drive has to be formatted, but
> the FreeBSD installer will do that for you automatically.
>
> - Felix

What Mac hardware version do you run?
Like I said in my previous reply if the user has newer Mac hardware he's
going to be in for a world of pain.

I have a 11,4 retina macbook pro and it's so problematic I bought a new
laptop.

Audio also proves problematic.

If the users laptop is newer than 11,2 there will be issues.

Best,
Owen