Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 15:12:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jan@todonix.ping.de (Jan Wedekind)
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP-0622 & fdformat: I/O-error

As Jan Wedekind wrote:

> Hi,
>
> eventually we made a mistake, because wie
> just updated the kernel sources (/usr/src/sys & /usr/src/include)
> but not the binaries!
>
> At the moment it's not possible for me to check, wether the following
> error occurs with 2.0.5R:
>
> bash# ./fdformat  -f 1440 fd0
> Format 1440K floppy `/dev/rfd0.1440'? (y/n): y
> Processing ----------------------------------------
> fdformat: ioctl(FD_FORM): Input/output error
> bash#

Seems like a kernel problem, not a mismatch between fdformat and the
kernel.

I've just tested it again on my freshly-2.0.5 notebook, and fdformat
works there as usually.

> kernel messages as follows:
>
> fd0: Seek to cyl 0, but not really there (ST3 = 28<drdy,two_side>)
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0: recal failed ST0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,equ_chck> cyl 0
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (No status)

Hmm, somehow the drive refuses to recalibrate.  equ_chck means that
the FDC issued more than 77 (don't laugh:) step pulses without seeing
a track 0 signal.  Perhaps the drive is not selected, in which case it
won't perform any stepping operation.

Everything else with that drive is working normally???
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/