Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:02:11 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

Nik Clayton wrote:

> Doug,
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 09:53:04AM -0700, Doug wrote:
> > My whole purpose in responding to this one is simply to point out to those
> > members of the list that may not know better that the FreeBSD project is
> > not above criticism, and they need not fear expressing their opinions. It
> > really isn't WHAT you say brett, in fact, it's not even really HOW you say
> > it. Frankly, it's YOU brett. We don't like you.

> If you only want to read messages from people you like then you (and anyone
> else that has this problem) should invest some time learning procmail.

	Well reasoned debate with people who have viewpoints different from my own
is the main reason I spend any time on the internet at all.

> Brett's raising interesting points

	I don't disagree with that, the problem is the one or two good points
Brett raises are lost in amongst the brambles and thorns of his tortured
pseudo-logic, rambling and paranoia.

> he's not resorting to flaming and other
> abuse and is, IMHO, showing a great deal of restraint in the face of
> considerable provocation.

	Brett adds his own fuel to the fire. He carefully frames his arguments in
terms that guarantee him an incendiary response, and thus the chance to
play the martyr. He either really is smart (and therefore capable of clear,
honest discourse) or he really is a dolt who happens on a good point now
and then. Either way, he's not worth my time.

> It may very well be that Brett's fears are groundless, that the concerns
> he has about WC and how they might feel about a 'competing' packaging of
> FreeBSD are empty, and that this whole issue can be resolved to everyone's
> satisfaction.
>
> In the meantime, I'm seeing a large number of people respond to Brett's
> messages without actually answering the questions he's asking, or
> qualifying their answers with so many 'perhaps', 'maybe', and 'possibly'
> that it's no wonder that he's having to repeat his questions, because
> no one's answering them.

	Mostly becasue (as Brett well knows) no one on the list really can. How on
earth would any of us know how WC will respond to another distribution, and
how can speculating on it be anything other than an exercise in futility?
The only people who might have any idea are Jordan and maybe DG, and it's
not like Brett doesn't know their email addresses.

	Now, the only thing more pathetic than arguing _like_ brett is arguing
_about_ brett, so I'll stop this here. You're free to draw any conclusions
you like about my post, my priorities or my motivations. I've said what I
have to say, so now I'm done.

Doug