Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:17:56 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940 ...

Richard Foulk stands accused of saying:

> } "depends".  the aic7770 (the chip on the 2940) is perhaps a
> } slightly more gutsy device than the 53c810.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit?

The aic7770 appears to handle heavier loads better; this may be because it
keeps its program in local memory (does it?) rather than needing to
fetch an opcode every 1us (as the 53c810 does) across the PCI bus.  It
may just be due to better device design.

General consensus and experience has it that for more than 2 or 3 busy
disks the Adaptec part is a better choice.

> I meant to consider it more the preferred choice.  Currently, the Adaptec
> seems to be the preferred board.

That's not unreasonable given that a lot of people are building big
servers using FreeBSD.  But a lot of people go for the NCR controllers
for workstations because they're cheap and effective, and FreeBSD's
support for these controllers is generally just as good.  All through
the first quarter or so of this year Justin was struggling with the
'aic' driver, eventually getting it pretty well right; in the same
period the 'ncr' driver was rock-solid.

As a result of that, if nothing else, I'd say a lot of us prefer the NCR
cards 8)