Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:11:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which printers work with Ghostscript?

On Tuesday, 16 March 1999 at 22:24:43 -0500, Mike Jeays wrote:
> I am about to buy one of the current printers for home use,
> and would like to know if they will work by piping output
> through Ghostscript.
>
> I have version : Aladdin Ghostscript 5.10 (1997-11-23),
> with support for the following devices:
>
> Available devices:
>    x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11gray2 x11mono sxlcrt ap3250 appledmp bj10e
>
> [snip]
>
> Will any of these work with an HP 695C, for example?

I don't know.  What is the 695C?

> Are there more up-to-date drivers for current printers that I
> can add?

Not that I know of.

> Is there a decsription of what each of these device codes means?

Again, not that I know of.   In the past, I've tended to look in the
source, but it's frequently not much more help.

What I have found is that just about any HP-compatible laser printer
is not a problem.  I'd suspect that you won't have trouble with the
695C, but I can't confirm that suspicion.

Greg