Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 23:40:42 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Gnu Make ( was Re: httpd as part of the system.)

> I think, we can add gmake to gnu tree, but have all stuff bmaked :-)

Adding two tools that do essentially the same thing to the tree is
asking for trouble.  It's also adding un-needed bloat to the tree.
Finally, by requiring functionality that only exists in GNU make, you
are making the BSD tree completely dependant on non-BSD software.
Currently we have a big dependency on GCC, *but* we can pull gcc at
anytime (losing shlib ability agreed) and replace it with a different
compiler (lcc comes to mind, though it's not yet released publically)
and the tree still builds.

However, we can't replace the make utility with a different one and
expect it to work if we use features specific to GNU-make.  If you need
those specific features, add them to BSD-make so that we have a tool
that is useful.

If we keep adding GNU code to the tree we'll become another Linux, and
our main differences up to this point have been the copyright style.
Yes in comparison to NetBSD we have a lot more GNU stuff, but those
parts are not critical to the running/building of the system.

Nate