Date:      Sun, 13 May 2007 15:39:21 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AR5513 chipset (DLink DWL-G520M) support in ath(4)?

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello Sam,
>
> Sunday, May 13, 2007, 10:11:18 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>>   Is here any work to support newest Atheros chipsets, AR5513, for
>>> example,  in ath(4)?
>>>
> SL> This is a MIPS-based SoC.  Supporting it requires a lot more than just
> SL> ath changes.
>   Oops. Year ot two and every chip and card in PC will have its own OS -- GPU, network, sound, etc :)
>   There is not documentation/firmware form Atheros, of course?

For Atheros SoC = GPU + Wireless h/w.  The wireless h/w is not exposed
via PCI bus but sits on an internal bus and is controlled by the GPU
which runs a complete OS like linux or netbsd (and hopefully some day
freebsd).  The ath driver just needs the appropriate bus shim to work
and support has been available for a while.

>   I suppose, that 802.11n draft chipsets are SoCs too?

The 5416 and 5418 are stock PCI (-express) parts that require the host
to handle much of the 11n protocol.  I've given out test hal's that
support these parts (in legacy mode) for many months.

	Sam